If you’ve ever wondered about “how to get a SSL certificate for my website?” you’d be happy to know that you’ve landed on the right page. The importance of web security is apparent to most internet users and business owners. However, taking definitive steps to avoid breaches and attacks is a different ballgame altogether. Security requires the active implementation of technological and policy-based controls and installing an SSL cert acts as a quick launchpad to a much more secure website. This is where knowing “how to buy an SSL certificate for my website” — and, more importantly, how to use it — really comes in handy.
But before we get started on “how to get a security certificate for my website,” let’s take a look at some of the features and benefits of an SSL/TLS certificate.
Get the Top-notch Brand Sectigo’s SSL certificate only for $8.78/year!
Save 79% on SSL Security Certificates! Get the lowest prices on trusted SSL certificates from Sectigo.Shop Now
Characteristics of an SSL Certificate
SSL/TLS certificates are used to access websites over a secure HTTPS connection. Using the secure HTTPS protocol ensures that the data transmission between the client browser and the server occurs over an encrypted communication channel. Here are some of the attributes of an SSL/TLS certificate and the ways using such a certificate can benefit your organization and site visitors:
- An SSL certificate comes with standard 256-bit encryption strength with a 2048-bit RSA key.
- Depending upon the validation level, the issuance time can range from a few minutes to a couple of days — but the process can be rushed upon request.
- It offers unlimited server licenses so you can install it on multiple servers at no extra cost.
- It comes with a secure padlock and a secure site seal to improve customer’s trust on the website.
- Depending on whom you purchase it from, you usually can get installation support and 24/7 customer support.
- SSL/TLS certificates are compatible with 99.9% of all major devices and browsers.
- Apart from the benefits listed above, a commercial SSL/TLS certificate also offers a warranty worth thousands of dollars in the unlikely case that something goes amiss with your digital certificate or the encryption it provides.
- Additionally, Sectigo offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all its products as a gesture of its commitment towards customer satisfaction.
Now that we have a fair understanding of some of the basic features, let’s answer the question about how to buy an SSL certificate for my website.
How to Get SSL Certificate for My Website
If you are thinking, “how to get an SSL certificate for my website?” you have come to the right place. Buying an SSL certificate from a reputable website like SectigoStore.com has many advantages, including lower prices and faster issuance. Just follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to SectigoStore.com
- Select an SSL certificate that fulfills your requirements
- Generate CSR by following simple instructions on the website
- Complete the order
- Install the certificate after vetting by CA
Step 1: Select the Appropriate Certificate for Your Site
Different types of SSL certificates are classified based on their validation levels as well as their functionality. Select the SSL certificate you wish to purchase, depending on your requirements. For those wondering “how to get a SSL certificate for my website,” the link below contains several SSL options from which you can choose.
Step 2: Generate the Certificate Signing Request (CSR)
A CSR is like an application that contains the details of the domain you’re trying to secure using the SSL certificate. It is a reasonably straightforward process, but you can refer to Sectigo’s support articles that offer instructions on CSR generation for various servers.
Step 3: Complete the Order Process
Once you’ve completed the certificate signing request, you’ll receive an order confirmation email from your certificate authority (CA) of choice with a link where you can submit your CSR.
Step 4: Validation by Your Chosen Certificate Authority
Once you’ve submitted the CSR using the link you received via email, your request will be verified and validated based on which certificate you chose in step 1. After the CA deems your request to be a legitimate one, they’ll issue an SSL certificate for your website.
Step 5: Install the SSL/TLS Certificate on Your Server(s)
You’ll typically receive your SSL cert and any other intermediate certificates via your registered email. The SSL/TLS digital certificate, along with its certificate chain, will have to be installed on your server. You can refer to Sectigo’s installation guide for additional information about how to install an SSL/TLS certificate on different servers.
Once that’s done, feel free to use the SSL Checker tool to verify that the SSL certificate (along with its intermediate certs) has been installed and configured correctly on your servers.